Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Routine vs. Rhythm

From Merriam-Webster's online dictionary...

routine - 1 a: a regular course of procedure
rhythm - 3 a: movement, fluctuation, or variation marked by the regular recurrence or natural flow of related elements

Right now, I'm torn between my responsibilities at home (which are increasingly difficult to focus on) and my evolving role at Lifepoint Church. Truth is, I've been wrestling with this since September when I started the student ministry as a volunteer, then the scope broadened in February to include Kidspoint as a part-timer. I'm counting down the next week and a half until I'm officially full-time (counting faster hasn't worked yet...suggestions?!).

One thing I'm looking forward to about being officially full-time in ministry again after a year off is getting my life back into a rhythm, but not a routine. I used to think of it as routine, but now I know it's actually rhythm. I want my life to be anything but routine...

Things have been so chaotic for my family over the past year, I find myself craving the "natural flow of related elements" I used to have. Those related elements comprise my life, and you have your own set of life elements, too. The challenge is getting those elements to make beautiful music together in a way that honors God.

Ever heard a tight band play live? You know, one that is just...tight? Timing is impeccable, they can read each other's minds, and everything just grooves? It's hard to describe, but you know it when you hear it...and you know it when it's not there. Well, just like that tight rock band grooves together, I want my spiritual life, home life, ministry life, family & friends life, financial life, health life, etc. to settle into that synergistic groove that's been missing over the past year.

Rhythm is underestimated. When you have it, don't take it for granted. When you don't, keep practicing...

1 comments:

The Sobie said...

I've got rhythm like you read about.