Saturday, June 7, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting

By the way, great 80s movie. What 12 year old boy wouldn't think Elizabeth Shue was hawt?! Between that and Karate Kid...anyway, I digress.

So, I was asked by a friend a few days ago if I could watch his four-year-old son and two-year-old daughter Friday (yesterday). Being the great friend that I am, I said yes. After his initial shock wore off, my friend said, "Are you sure?" to which I responded, "Let me think about it. Actually, no...YES, it's fine!" I guess he thought he was getting Punk'd. I figured what else does a 31-year-old unemployed dude have better to do. If anything I was thrilled to finally be able to say I found a job. Hey, small victories...

I got up Friday morning at 5:45, went to the Y, did legs and some cardio, came home, and got ready for the big day. I don't write all that to contribute to the story, but just to brag that I - despite my incredible physique - work out. Anyway, with my own four kids set for the day, we welcomed our guests (who will remain anonymous for their protection) around 8:45. Some favorite moments/highlights:

  • Nap time
  • The doorbell at 5:15 pm
Always keen on the teachable moments life affords me, I made a few discoveries along the way:
  • "They already pooped this morning, so you should be good" is no guarantee.
  • Toy screwdrivers really hurt when they are twisted on your arm.
  • Carrot sticks dipped in ice cream isn't half bad.
  • Cap'n Crunch (actually the Malt O' Meal generic...hey, we're on a tight budget) is a bad idea for afternoon snack. The box (or bag, in this case) should be clearly labeled in big letters "Parental Warning: SUGARCRACK."
  • The back of my computer chair can withstand downward pressure exerted by 45 lbs. of sugarcrack-infused kid.
  • Little girls are made of sugar (crack) and spice and everything...stinky.
  • Tarzan & Jane is a great movie...to fall asleep to.
  • Benadryl and Tylenol PM can easily pass as jelly beans.
  • The hair from my cat's tail comes out really easily.
  • The words "Watch dis!" when used exceedingly can actually make your ears bleed.
Actually, we had a great day together, and the kids had a blast playing together (OK, I played some, too!). It reminded me of what a privilege it is to be at home with my kids during this season of transition. But the best thing I learned is that kids, even other peoples', are a true blessing from God. I want to thank my friends for trusting me and giving me the privilege of spending the day with your precious treasures. I know how hard it can be to entrust your kids to other people.

That'll be $50.

Yeah, per kid.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

WoW! Best hubby ever.

Jenny said...

Just read this to DW. We were rolling! Ha!

ocean mommy said...

By chance, do you have a nanny cam? I bet you could really make some money on funniest vidoes....

If you REALLY want a challenge, we could ship the girls up there for a week...at least they are potty trained!!

The Sobie said...

We need to have a talk about some of the the new four-letter words my kids seemed to have picked up after leaving your house, as well as what appears to be reed marks on their backs and legs. We need to talk.

Thanks for watching the kids!

WorshipRelief said...

Okay, this has nothing to do with Adventures in Babysitting or anything else you have written lately. I just have to call you out on the shirt in your picture, man! Come on, Elixr???!!! All those times you busted on me for using those strings and NOW you sport the logowear???!!!

Good to check in with you again. Keep in touch my man!

Steve