Friday, August 10, 2007

Personal Vision - Do I Have One?!

Our pastor has been on vacation the past week or so, so I've been filling in giving the messages. I preached last Sunday and will again this Sunday. We did four weeks of co-talks during July's Just the FAQs series where we answered tough questions submitted by attendees. So, that will make six out of the past seven weeks that I've been preparing messages.

Problem is, I don't feel particularly gifted to do them. It's definitely uncomfortable for me because I'm more of a writer than an orator. I like to chew on my thoughts before they have to leave my lips. I'm constantly trying to find the balance between finding my "main thing" and focusing on it with laser-beam precision and doing all the general things that are required of me right now. Sometimes, I even question what my "main thing" is...

The messages I've prepared the past two weeks have been about personal vision. They have been spawned largely from Craig Groeschel's book Chazown and his Life Development Plan message series. They have really challenged me to examine my own life, which was my prayer as I sought what God wanted me to teach on. I'm glad because I'm being forced to wrestle with my own personal vision God has for me.

For example, I'm a horrible steward of time. Yeah, I get a lot done, but it's usually under pressure and not all it could be. I'm good at a lot of things, but...

Good is the enemy of great. We often think "bad" is, but greatness is usually thwarted by our tendency to settle for average, mediocre, simply good. I'm realizing that many areas of my life are good, but not all that God intends them to be.

  1. I'm a good follower of Christ, but not a great one.
  2. I'm a good husband and father, but not a great one.
  3. I'm a good pastor, but not a great one.
  4. I'm a good money manager, but not a great one.
  5. I'm in good shape, but not great shape.
What are you settling for good at in your life like me? Are you all God wants you to be? Are you willing to endure the pain and discomfort of striving for God's best for your life, that personal vision?

Father, I pray that you would continue breathing Your vision into my life. Help me be receptive to how You guide me. Empower me to make tough choices and trim the fat, lazy, empty things from my life. Help me to honor You as Your child, Your servant, a husband, a father, a minister, and a friend. Order my steps and call me to submission. For Your glory...Amen.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I pray for you everyday. Praying that you will always thirst for more. I love you!

ocean mommy said...

Good vs. Great.

Very thought provoking. I want to borrow that book.

steph.