Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"Weight" on God...

Day 2 of my "blogsperiment." I haven't given up yet!

Today has been a challenging day. I am being challenged in my faith. Sometimes I wonder if faith isn't being challenged, is it faith at all? Hmmm...

I'm learning that faith is stepping with your full weight into the unknown. That's not a profound statement by any measure, and it's one that I learned--at least in head knowledge--when I was quite young. Learning and experiencing, however, are two vastly different things.

So, how exactly am I being challenged? Our four-year-old church is planting a south campus, and it's scaring the heck out of me. Not from a physical standpoint, but from an emotional and spiritual one. Being a mobile church, this proposition means we will be loading in at our main campus at 8 a.m., having church, packing up, driving 30 miles south, grab a quick bite to eat, start setting up again at 3:30, have church again, pack up, drive 30 miles north, and get home around 9:30 p.m. Every Sunday. If you do the math, that's at least a 15-hour day from wake-up to head-down.

The vision is that God raises indigenous leaders to take the ball and run with it, but so far after four preview services, that has been an elusive thing. It's causing me to question my leadership and our leadership as a staff. But at the same time, it could be exactly what God has sovereignly ordained...at least for now. I'm reluctant to step with my full weight, and that bothers me tremendously. I want to be all in or all out, none of this in between stuff.

The Good Book says, "Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" (Hebrews 11). In this situation, I know what I hope for and I know what I can't see. I guess that's right where God wants me--to trust only in Him...rather than strategies, technology, relevance, etc. Those are all important things, but how often do we make idols of them? God calls us to walk by faith in a dark, dying world. Sometimes, that just really stinks! But at the end of the day, what choice do we have but to follow Him? Our new campus could belly up and "fail," but whatever happens I'll bet my bottom dollar God has a plan for it all. Sink or swim, God is on His throne and He will be glorified.

Where is God asking you to step with your full weight?

Father, help me to step with my full weight (minus a few trips to Krispy Kreme and Taco Bell) into whatever it is you call me to. Help me to cast off my unbelief, abandon my preconceived notions, and trust Your divine hand to do YOUR work. Redefine success to me. Thank you for the privilege of being a part of this amazing thing called "the Church." Jesus, lead on.

1 comments:

The Sobie said...

I agree. I often feel, as I bet most of us do, that we are lukewarm and fence-sitters. Stepping out on faith and throwing all your eggs in the God basket is against human nature and crazy by the world's standard.

You would think we would learn after the first time we step out on faith and our Father catches us just like He promises He will that we would overcome that fear. But no, every time it's just as hard. We figure He can't catch us EVERY time, which is completely contradictory to a belief in an ALL POWERFUL God we we claim to have. Weird.

I'm just rambling. I guess I'm just trying to say I liked your blog, and it made me think. Heck, this could have been a blog of my own as it is...

word.