Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Talk Is Cheap

Last night, about 50 volunteers/key leaders of our church had a great night worshiping, celebrating what God has done so far in '08 (and He ain't done yet!), and anticipating what He'll do in '09. It's an honor to serve with such dedicated people. Their hearts for God are so evident in the sacrifice of time, energy, and emotion they pour into the vision of Lifepoint Church - reaching people who are far from God.

Something Jeremy shared really stuck out to me. He talked about about various stages of commitment (and this applies to anything, not just the Church): understanding, embracing, communicating, and defending. Each is a step is one of deeper and truer commitment.

In short, we can understand something, but not embrace it. We can embrace something, but not communicate it. We can communicate something, but not be willing to defend it (with our lives, reputations, etc.). The truest test of commitment is one's willingness to defend the vision.

Vision is such a buzz word in today's lingo, especially in the Church, but how often do we plod through life without it? What visions do you have for your life? For your health, finances, family?

  • I understand, embrace, and even communicate my belief in eating right and exercising regularly, but I don't always defend it by my actions.
  • I understand, embrace, and even communicate my belief in living within my means and saving for the future, but I don't always defend it by my actions.
  • I understand, embrace, and even communicate my belief being a godly leader to my wife and children, but I don't always defend it by my actions.
You see, it's not enough to rest on principles and conviction; they must be consummated by action. I've experienced many lofty visions (both personal and corporate) that have ended up littering the graveyard of good intentions because they were not defended by action. The vision may have been understood, embraced, and communicated, but it wasn't lived out. As they say, "Talk is cheap."

What area of life are you doing a lot of talking?

2 comments:

The Sobie said...

Well said.

To answer your question, just about every area...

The Sobie said...

Your face is cheap.