Thursday, April 10, 2008

Breaking Stereotypes

So, my significant other recently blogged about what a great wife I am. While I am guilty as charged, it got me thinking about the stereotypes we attribute to people. Some, of course, are earned while others are a product of ignorance.

[Side rant on] Why has the word "ignorance" come to mean something offensive? It means uneducated, uninformed, or unaware. Hmmm, I'm awfully ignorant about a lot!! [Side rant off]

So, I've embraced and made a goal of being a great wife...at least in the eyes of one person whose opinion really matters to me. Thing is, I'm an unemployed 31-year-old guy that:

  • ... thinks farting is cool and should be socially acceptable, if not encouraged
  • ...loves to watch sports hours on end (yes, honey, there's another game coming on...)
  • ...likes to play guitars really loud (wish my amp went to 11)
  • ...wishes on some level he could be Bruce Willis' character from the Die Hard movies
  • ...defines "basic physical necessities" as (in no particular order) oxygen, water, food, shelter, guitars, and sex
  • ...and thinks that doing "bunny hair" for a toddler is some form of medieval torture. Or the more PC phrase "cruel and unusual punishment. Either would be accurate.

Not exactly the profile of your common wife.

Let the revolution begin!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I would love you even if you weren't a good wife.

ocean mommy said...

Sounds like you are breaking down some strongholds there...

Love the glasses in the sidebar...on of my children who shall remain nameless said "Oh Look! Uncle Steven got glasses...wow, that must have been all they had...."

Chris Vlaming said...

wus